Creating Safe and Pleasant Outings
Preparation is the key to any successful outing. However, a day out with a frail elderly person can never be spontaneous. The first task must be to vet activity to ensure that it is suitable for elderly person.
- the amount of walking involved
- if the destination is flat or has hills or stairs to climb
- if there is wheelchair access (if appropriate)
- whether these is parking nearby
- whether there is cover and shade
- whether there are toilet facilities
- whether there are chairs or benches available in case the elderly person needs a rest if there is cell phone coverage
Before leaving home, be sure to prepare for a wide range of possibilities:
- have all the medications needed and take an extended supply, just in case the outing lasts longer or takes an unexpected turn
- have appropriate clothing – layers are best – as well as sun and rain protection
- have something to eat and drink, in case or a delay
- Take a leisurely family drive to look at the local city holiday or event lights.
- If it is possible and received warmly, invite the senior to your house to decorate.
- Help your elderly loved one attend a party especially for seniors at a local senior center. Sometimes there will be a special music feature and/or games.
- Attend local and community plays. Besides the local theater, stage house or ballet, affordable plays and performances done by elementary schools, junior highs and high school are just as entertaining and more affordable.
- When things do not go right, try and remind yourself that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. The person in your care will greatly enjoy and benefit from the change of routine and so will you!
Relevar Home Care specializes in enhancing the independence and sense of freedom for our aging clients. Providing personal care services, transportation, medication reminders, meal preparation, and much more.
Relevar Home Care makes home care the best care. Contact us to find out more.
With a little pre-planning and tweaking of celebrations, frail seniors can comfortably be included in activities that also engage the younger generations. Relevar can cover ongoing respite care to give a caregiver time to run errands and can engage a senior in ability-suited activities to make the holidays and every day enjoyable for all.
These links are provided as an educational resource for those who are interested in further information on celebration activities and seniors.
Click the links below to access resource websites to learn more about activities for seniors.
Free Entertainment Activities for Seniors
About.com provides ten great ideas for free activities to enjoy at any time of the year.
Preparing for an Outing with a Senior
The thought of taking an elderly person on an outing can be daunting, but with a little forward planning, it can be fun, and a welcome break for both the caregiver and the senior. Read more on preparing for an outing with a senior at this link to Elderly Care Tips.
Intergenerational Activity Ideas for Grandparents
Sometimes more involved and long-lasting activities can be planned and executed. This blog from a grandmother has some great ideas shared by other grandmothers on activities that span the generations.