A new cancer breakthrough may mean help for all types of cancer.
We have no doubt about how phenomenal our body’s immune system is in fighting invading bacteria and viruses and restoring us to health after an illness, but the newest outcomes from a report by Cardiff University are positioned to generate an innovative and unforeseen advancement: stopping cancer in its tracks.
Researchers discovered a certain type of immune cell, a T-cell, found in our blood, which can scan and remove threats – including an array of cancer cells: ovarian, cervical, blood, kidney, prostate, lung, colon, and numerous others. And astoundingly, all normal tissue is left unaltered.
The newly discovered T-cell works with a particular molecule on the surface of every cell within our body, referred to as the MR1 molecule. The hypothesis is that the MR1 is alerting the T-cell of any cancer cell distortions. Garry Dolton, who was an important part of the research team, points out, “We are the first to describe a T-cell that finds MR1 in cancer cells – that hasn’t been done before; this is the first of its kind.”
Because there is currently an equivalent type of therapy, called CAR-T, which has shown extraordinary results in bringing individuals from a terminal status to complete remission, it’s only been shown to be successful in specific forms of cancer, and not “solid cancers” (those that form tumors). This new cancer breakthrough has demonstrated thus far to impact all forms of cancer. Here is how it is believed to work:
- Blood is extracted from a patient diagnosed with cancer.
- The blood is filtered to remove T-cells.
- A specific type of innocuous virus is injected into the T-cells, letting them pick up on cancer cells.
- These cells are then duplicated in a lab, and put back into the individual.
Researchers have been remarkably successful in animal trials, and with additional safety checks, the next step will likely be human trials. As outlined by Daniel Davis, professor of immunology at the University of Manchester, “There is no question that it’s a very exciting discovery, both for advancing our basic knowledge about the immune system and for the possibility of future new medicines.”
While we keep an eye out for more details on this particular development, you can rely on Relevar Home Care when it comes to the top-quality care for individuals diagnosed with cancer and various health conditions. Just some of the countless ways we can help out include:
- Meal planning and preparation, specific to virtually any dietary limitations or difficulties
- Warm and friendly companionship
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Running errands, which can include picking up prescriptions and trips to the store
- Transportation to medical appointments/procedures and pleasurable outings
- And so much more